UNIVERSITÀ DEGLI STUDI GUGLIELMO MARCONI (USGM) - ITALY
Università degli Studi Guglielmo Marconi is the first Italian Open University recognised by Ministry of Education, University and Research in March 2004.
Within the information society, the Open model represents a driving factor to Higher Education, Lifelong Learning and transfer Digital Fluency. Benefiting from over 14.000 students enrolled, USGM offers Bachelors and Master degrees in all main subjects: Business, Law, Political Sciences, Applied Sciences & Technologies, Humanities and Education Science.
The innovating learning modalities adopted encompasses the most advanced technological solutions and integrates non-residential communication tools (e-learning, chat, forum, videoconference, etc.) with seminar activities.
Core aim of University is the promotion of the Research, Education and transnational cooperation focused on enhancing the quality of European Higher Education, inter-cultural dialogue and exchange.
DEPARTMENT WEBSITE LINKS:
- Laboratories of Science Faculty and Applied Technologies
(Laboratori Della Facoltà Di Scienze e Tecnologie Applicate)
STAFF MEMBERS AND THEIR QUALIFICATIONS
- Full professor of Energy Systems, Director of DIS – Department of Sustainability Engineering, Director of CARe – Center for Automotive Research and evolution, Guglielmo Marconi University, Rome, Italy.
- President of IASS – Italian Association for Sustainability Science, in the framework of ISSS – International Sustainability Science Society, United Nations University, Tokyo, Japan.
- Principal Investigator and co-ordinator of National and International Research projects. Editor, Energy and Environment, Sustainability Science Journal, Springer.
- Editor, Young Scientists World Congress Special Issues, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Elsevier.
- Author of the book “Energy systems in the Era of Energy vectors”, Springer, author of more than 150 scientific publications.
- He is Associate Professor of Mechanical and Thermal Measurement at Guglielmo Marconi University (Rome). He has been working in his specialist and/or related fields for 15 years.
- In the field of wind energy, the main activities are: site assessment for wind farm installation, wind turbine condition monitoring using SCADA data analysis, wind turbine power performance measurement, applied statistics for extreme wind load estimates, radar-activated bird & bat mortality risk mitigation systems, remote monitoring and diagnostic solutions for wind turbines.
- Author of 32 scientific publications.
- Mechanical energy engineer, Ph. D. in Industrial Engineering, Energy Manager.
- Actually author of over 60 scientific publications and patent’s inventor in energy sector, founder of spin-off and start-up companies, currently President of the spin-off TREE (climate change technologies and environmental markets).
- Chair of ONE (One Network for Environment), that is in Italy the first network of academic spin-off companies for the environment .
- In 2006, 2011 and 2012, 2014, 2015 attended to the United Nations Conference on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
- Member of the Working Group GHG of UNI (Italian Organization for Standardization), appointed in 2012 as national contact point by ISO TC 256 in Carbon Capture and Storage.
- Expert reviewer of the Fifth Assessment Report (AR5) IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change) for WGII (Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability) and of WGIII (Mitigation of Climate Change).
- Coordinator of the Capacity Building activities of SHARE (Stations at High Altitude for Research on the Environment).
- Carbon Trader Specialist at Asian Development Bank, advisor on the Beijing CO2 emission market.
DESCRIPTION OF THE FOCUS AREAS RELATING TO EDUCATION & RESEARCH
The laboratory activities and experimentation are one of the fundamental aspects that must be acquired by future professional figures. To this end, the Faculty of Applied Sciences has set up an area of about 150 m2 entirely dedicated to the laboratory.
Laboratories are used to:
- Laboratory courses included in the study plan;
- Experimental thesis;
- Project Work.
The didactic offer is defined each time to meet the teachers, students and the labor market demands and are visible in the individual degree programs.
For such activities, teaching takes place at the premises of the laboratory and the time commitment is decided by the teachers involved.
The present technical equipment allows carrying out experiments and practical tests in various fields including: mathematics, physics, chemistry, computer science, electrical engineering, electronics, technical physics, thermotechnics, and mechanics.
LIST OF COURSES/SUBJECTS
- Energy System
- Primary energy sources
- Energy vectors
- Energy conversion systems (Characteristics and classification of energy vectors’ production plants, Distributed and concentrated energy production, Definition of co-generation, Smart Energy Networks)
- Hydrogen production
- Energy systems for mobility
- Final uses of energy
Energy Production and Distribution Networks Management
- Energy systems
- Energy vectors
- Evolution of electrical grids and The traditional generation plants
- Nuclear energy and Energy from renewable resources
- Radical innovations and Environmental problems
- Energy efficiency and The renewal of electrical grids
- Smart grids and the electrical grids of the future